Find answers to frequently asked ticketing and streaming questions here. General Festival FAQs are found at Festival 2020 FAQ
When can I buy and watch films?
Online Premieres are available to purchase from 10 July, with films streamed at the advertised time and date. Online Rentals are available to purchase starting 25 July. New Online Rentals are released each day at 10.00 am and will be available to purchase for up to one week. Once purchased, you have 48 hours to watch the film, but please check details on the film’s purchase page for some exceptions.
Note: Online Rentals can be purchased right up until the end of their availability period. Your 48 hours to watch the film will begin from the time of purchase and beyond the availability period, if needed.
Do I need two accounts?
One account is optional and the other is required.
- A My Festival account (on nziff.co.nz) is optional, but recommended. It's used to save your Wishlist, mark films as purchased, subscribe to email updates and more. You can create a Wishlist without a My Festival account, but your list will only be saved on your current browser/device. If you have bought tickets in previous years, you likely already have a My Fesival account.
- An At Home — Online account (on our streaming platform athome.nziff.co.nz) is required to purchase and watch films. The “Watch Online” button beside each film in your Wishlist will bring you to athome.nziff.co.nz. To get back to your Wishlist, click My Wishlist in the top At Home — Online menu.
You can register or sign in to either account by clicking Sign In in the top right menu on the Festival home page.
How do I watch my films?
See System Requirements for full specifications.
- On a laptop or computer with Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 — Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Safari or Opera.
or Mac OSX 10.7 or later — Safari. Please note Firefox is not supported and Google Chrome is not supported for Mac users.
- On a phone or tablet with the app. Download the Android app here. Download the Apple app here.
- On a TV, via an HDMI cable (recommended) or cast from the app or Google Chrome browser (PC only), provided your TV is Chromecast-enabled or you have a Chromecast or Apple TV device. Your TV will need to be connected to the same WiFi network as your laptop, phone, or tablet.
We highly recommend testing your home cinema set up before purchasing or watching any films. The 2020 Festival Trailer is already in the My Library section of your At Home — Online account for you to test your device/s.
Can I watch films on my TV by screen mirroring, screensharing or direct streaming via a Smart TV’s in-built web browser?
These methods are not supported due to copy protection. Our streaming platform has only been authorised to cast via Chromecast and Apple TV devices to a TV, and to an HDMI-connected monitor or TV, for the benefit of our filmmakers and rights holders. Casting via Chromecast for Mac laptop/iMac users is not supported.
How do I get the best video and sound quality?
- Video — All of our films, unless otherwise indicated, are available in HD. Depending on your internet connection, the player will choose a lower resolution when left on the default ‘Auto’ setting. You can select from the available resolutions by clicking the ‘Auto’ button in the player menu once you’ve started the film.
- Sound — Our films stream in either Stereo or 5.1 Surround Sound. Where 5.1 is available and the audio device you’re using supports it, then 5.1 will play automatically. Otherwise, the film will play in Stereo.
- Streaming — Full System Requirements are needed to stream films. Note that At Home — Online is only available to New Zealand audiences. A stable broadband connection, a supported browser, and an HDMI cable – if connecting to a TV – are recommended for the best streaming quality.
Can I screen films in my café/bar/community hall?
No. At Home — Online is intended for private residences only. You may not advertise a public or community screening or charge admission. Please see our Terms and Conditions. We recommend using our Group price option and inviting your favourite co-workers or social club mates around to your place.
Why aren’t all films available for the length of the festival?
NZIFF At Home — Online brings a unique mix of living room comfort and exciting film events, and we aim to give you the best of both worlds. In working with filmmakers, distributors and rights holders, it was agreed that an Online Premiere event, followed by a period of rental was the best way to combine that festival feel we love and miss with the at-home experience.
Will this be available outside New Zealand?
No. NZIFF At Home — Online is only available to New Zealand audiences. Sorry, Australia!